For my current project I needed to dye the fabric to give it a more antique look. Instead of spending money on dye I used this simple mess free method to get that antique effect.
What you'll need:
- Individual tea bags (about 6)
- Large Pot or Sauce Pan
- Canvas bag or any white cotton fabric
- Tongs or Large Spoon
- Boil water, reduce heat and steep 6 individual packets of tea (more if you want a darker shade.)
- Once it is at the desired color turn off heat.
- Submerge fabric in the tea using tongs or a large spoon to keep it under the tea water.
- Let sit for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the tea water and rinse the fabric under cold water.
- Twist to get as much water out of the fabric and let dry (either by using a dryer or hanging)
What you end up with is a tan/beige tone for your fabric at a very low cost.